90°C Just From "Breathing": What I Learned About Preventive Maintenance
For months, my laptop —an Acer Aspire 5733 running Fedora with i3— turned into my own personal little oven. It didn't take a heavy application to set it off: just turning it on and letting it "breathe" was enough for the sensors to read temperatures as high as 90°C. Random shutdowns, the fan running at full blast constantly, and the nagging feeling that at any moment the machine was just going to give up.
I started to think it was the end. That the laptop was doomed and I'd have to resign myself to buying a new one.
The diagnosis that changed everything
Before throwing in the towel, I decided to ask. I shared a screenshot of the sensor readings with DeepSeek, explaining the problem. The answer was simple and direct: take it to a technician for maintenance.
It sounded almost too obvious. But I followed the advice.
What the technician found
Once the laptop was opened up, the cause was immediately clear:
- Accumulated dust blocking heat dissipation.
- Completely dried-out thermal paste, no longer able to transfer heat from the processor to the heatsink.
Two things that, over time, any machine ends up suffering from if nobody pays attention to them.
The result
After the cleaning and the thermal paste replacement, the difference was radical. Today that same laptop runs Lubuntu 24.04 LTS with Linux kernel 7, and it's been processing a task on chat.z.ai for close to 24 hours straight without shutting down once. Before, that would have been unthinkable: shutting down from overheating used to be the norm, not the exception.
The lesson
It wasn't an "old, useless" laptop. It was a laptop that needed maintenance and nobody had given it any. Dust and dried-out thermal paste are silent enemies: they don't warn you all at once, they take their toll little by little until one day the machine can't even handle the basics anymore.
If your machine runs hotter than normal, shuts itself off, or simply "isn't performing like it used to," you might not need to replace it. Before spending money on a new one, it's worth asking yourself: when was the last time it got any maintenance?
Sometimes the solution isn't more power. It's just cleaning, and a bit of fresh thermal paste.

No hay comentarios.:
Publicar un comentario